Saturday, October 10, 2009

Purpose and Background for this Blog

October 7th, 2009

In my opinion, one of the greatest enjoyments in life is to drive the highways and by-ways and off-road regions of America with no hard-fast destination and no deadline to be anyplace; such is nearly pure freedom.

As of the date of this blog, I have driven across the United States from coast to coast six times for a total of three extended round trips. Heading west, typically I leave out of the Boston, Massachusetts area or Southern New Jersey / Philadelphia area and head for a final destination of the beach cities region of the Los Angeles basin in California. Heading east is basically the reverse of heading west. Along the way, I can take any direct or indirect route and I attempt to visit as many interesting destinations as possible such as national parks, Niagara Falls, Las Vegas, and the Grand Canyon to name a few. Often times I encounter many unique experiences enroute and many have suggested that I begin cataloging my journeys and therefore I now blog. :)

Upon my arrival to either coast, I stay and visit with friends and family for a period of multiple months. On the east coast I continually travel between the Boston, Massachusetts area and the Southern New Jersey area and spend time in the Long Island and New York City areas of New York state.

I choose to make this journey on land as opposed to travel by air for several reasons. In my younger years I loved to fly and take trips that included flying. Later in life, I traveled throughout the nation and the world for my employer, all by air travel. However, after several nearly unexplained airplane crashes of the 1990’s and with all the latest anti-terrorism security related procedures at airports, I became disenfranchised with traveling by air. Additionally, after pursuing my legal rights in an unrelated matter and no doubt as a result of my opponent in that civil legal matter, my name suddenly and unjustly appeared as a ‘match’ on the national ‘no fly’ list – from which my name has since been removed, as far as I know. All of this and in light of my love of driving and the cost of renting a car for any extended stays, I rationalized that in reality it was nearly as low cost to drive as to fly. And, if one is in no real hurry to arrive anywhere, driving is a lot more fun, in my opinion.

So, this blog is an effort to catalogue my travels across and throughout the United States. If these writings are of interest to anyone that may read them, that is great. If you feel so inclined, click on a banner and support that entity with your patronage, if you would be so kind. Regardless, I hope you enjoy this blog.
AVT