Tuesday, October 25, 2022

No Headlights Required.

Tonight, I thought I had a burnt-out headlight for the first time since I can remember – maybe 10 to 15 years, or maybe equivalently, 250,000 miles to 350,000 miles since I replaced a headlamp on my vehicle. 

As I then began to drive to one of the only 24-hour auto parts stores still in existence around these parts, I figured maybe I should investigate the matter further to see if the malfunctioning headlight was merely disconnected or the like. Like…, maybe it had become disconnected when I had done some minor maintenance work under the hood earlier in the day. 

However, I couldn’t help but to chuckle in that I could not remember when I had last replaced a headlight on my vehicle. I figured the last time I had replaced a headlight might have been hundreds of thousands of miles ago. And, I had been wondering when one of those nearly antique headlights would finally fail. 

Shortly thereafter, I started to become aware of the unseemly yet potentially-required removal of my battery to replace that headlight – as my hands are not as skinny as they maybe once were. Only then did it occur to me to rap-on the headlight to see if it was really finished. And, then it came-on and lit-up again! 

Of course, given that I have now bragged about it all to the world with this blog, so to speak. I now fear a headlight may be soon to burn-out again in the not-too-distant future. 

So, maybe I should go and buy that replacement headlight after all and hold-on to it for a while. 

Life is full of irony; it often seems to me. : ) 

Adam Trotter 

October 2022